Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 777)
Preparation time: 45 minutes; Cook time: 2hrs. 45 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
New Orlean's home cooking. Round steak simmered in a spicy gravy, savory and satisfying.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 pounds Round Steak, trimmed and cut into serving size pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil* *
- 2 Tablespoons Bacon Grease
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Chopped Celery
- 1/2 cup Chopped Yellow Onions
- 1 cup Chopped Green Pepper
- 3 cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 quart Low Country Tomato Sauce* *
- 1 cup Beef or Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1/2 teaspoon Leaf Thyme* *
- 1 Bay Leaf* *
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves* *
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco (or more)
- 1 Tablespoons Worchestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper *
- 1 cup Chopped Green Onions
- Pound steak about 1/4" thick or thinner. Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Rub each piece of steak with salt and pepper.
- In a deep cast iron skillet, heat oil and bacon grease. Brown the meat pieces and set them aside.
- To the hot grease, add 1/4 cup flour to make a roux. Cook to a dark brown.
- Add chopped celery, onions, green onions, green pepper and garlic to the roux and cook until tender.
- Add canned tomatoes and allow to simmer a few minutes
- Stir in stock and red wine. Add thyme, bay leaf, cloves, tabasco and Worchestershire sauce. Bring to a high simmer, lower heat and cover. Cook for 2 hours or so, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Make this the day before you serve it and the flavors will be even better. Serve with buttered grits or rice.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.