Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Italian Vegetable Soup (Minestrone di Romagna)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 259)
Preparation time: 45 minutes; Cook time: 3 hours
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Full flavored, hearty Minestrone. Note that all the taste comes from the vegetables: this recipe uses no herbs or even garlic. Amazingly good!
- 1/2 cup Olive oil *
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Yellow onion, sliced julienne
- 1 cup Carrots, unpeeled and diced
- 1 cup Celery, strings removed and diced
- 2 cups Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups Zucchini, diced
- 1 can Green beans, diced
- 3 cups Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 6 cups Homemade chicken stock
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can of Italian tomatoes with juice
- 1 15 ounce can of Cannellini beans
- Salt to taste *
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese to be passed at table
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large soup pot.
- Add onions and cook over a medium heat, stirring until the onions wilt.
- Stir in the carrots, and cook for a few minutes, continuing to stir.
- Repeat this procedure with the diced celery, potatoes, zucchini and green beans, cooking each addition a few minutes and stirring.
- Add the shredded cabbage and allow it to cook about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Now, stir in the stock and the canned tomatoes.
- Bring soup to a low simmer, cover and cook at least 2 or 3 hous, making sure from time to time that it doesn't stick.
- Add the canned beans 15 minutes before serving and taste for salt.
- Pass the parmesan for guests to add their own.