Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Roasted Chile and Turkey Enchiladas
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 379)
Preparation time: 45 minutes; Cook time: 1 hours
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Made from scratch! Make a fiesta with your amigos out of the process!
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 6 Fresh Anaheim or Poblano chiles
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- Vegetable oil as needed *
- Salt, cumin, and chili powder as needed
- 1 dozen Corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups Shredded cooked turkey
- 12 ounces Sharp cheddar cheese, grated (reserve 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup Finely minced onion (reserve 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup Chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup Tomato sauce
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
To Roast the Chiles:
- Spread the peppers on a baking sheet and place under the broiler.
- Turn frequently until lightly and evenly charred.
- Place hot roasted peppers in a damp towel and fold into a bundle.
- Allow peppers to sweat 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from towel and carefully peel away the cellophane-like skin.
- Cut out stems and gently scrape out seeds.
To Prepare the Tortillas:
- In a heavy skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil and tomato sauce.
- Add a pinch each of salt, cumin, and chili powder.
- Heat several tortillas at once, turning to coat and soften.
- Stack the prepared tortillas on a platter with paper towels between them.
- Add more oil, sauce and seasonings as needed.
To Assemble the Enchiladas:
- Spread approximately 2 tablespoons of turkey over each tortilla, then a layer of grated cheese, a sprinkling of minced onion and a few strips of roasted chile.
- The amount of chiles you use will depend on your taste and the strength of the peppers.
- Roll up the enchiladas and place them seam side down in an 8" x 12" baking dish.
- Top the enchiladas with 1/4 cup tomato sauce, reserved 1/4 cup of minced onions, 1/2 cup of grated cheese and chopped pecans.
- Cover tightly with oiled foil and bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil; garnish each serving with sprigs of fresh cilantro.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.