Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 412)
Preparation time: 35 minutes; Cook time: 6 hrs. 45 minutes
Source: Vito De Carolis
Rusks are slices of bread that are baked untl they are very dry. This version is sweet and flavored with black pepper, raisins and almonds.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 pounds Bran-rich flour
- 1/2 pound All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Fine sea salt *
- 1/4 teaspoon Black peppercorn, freshly ground *
- 2 cups Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Raisins, soaked in warm milk for one hour
- 1/2 cup Almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 3 Large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl; sift together flours,brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and peppercorn.
- Cut butter into small cubes, and rub into the flour.
- Add drained raisins and almonds.
- In another bowl; mix together the buttermilk, eggs, lemon juice, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and beat until well combined.
- Stir liquid into dry ingredients, and mix; then knead to a firm dough.
- Press mixture into well-buttered large baking sheet, pressing until it reaches all the edges and corners.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Cut into fingers and spread out onto 2 baking trays.
- Dry in a low heat oven 200 degrees for about 6 hours, until the center is completely dry.
- Store in an airtight container.
Note: Perfect with coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.