Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Chicken and Sausage Creole
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 243)
Preparation time: 1 hours; Cook time: 2 hours
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
A favorite all over the gulf coast.
Wine suggestion: Red Zinfandel, Syrah, or Pinot Noir
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Olive oil *
- 1 cup Purple onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Celery, strings removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup Bell pepper, chopped
- 5 Cloves garlic, minced and mashed
- 1/4 cup Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup Dry white wine
- 1 Large can stewed tomatoes
- 1 Small can tomato paste
- 5 cups Chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Each salt and pepper *
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cloves *
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground allspice *
- 1 Bay leaf *
- 1/2 teaspoon Leaf thyme *
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 pounds Boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 pound Smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- First, make a roux in a large cast-iron Dutch oven with flour and olive oil.
- Simmer over a low heat unitl it is a deep golden brown, stirring almost constantly.
- Do not let it scorch.
- Add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and parsley to roux.
- Cook until vegetables are soft, stirring often.
- Add white wine, tomatoes and tomato paste and cook about ten minutes.
- Add chicken stock and seasonings and cook 45 minutes at a low simmer.
- Stir in cubed chicken and sausage and cook another 1/2 hour until meat is done and creole sauce is thick and rich.
- Taste for seasoning and serve over white rice with a little bottle of Tabasco on the side.