Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Sailboat Style Tortellini Pasta Stuffed with Veal (Tortellini di Vitello)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 238)
Preparation time: 45 minutes; Cook time: 25 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Classic Veal Stuffed Pasta recipe prepared for me in the galley of the sailboat of an Italian couple that were in the midst of attempting to sail around the world. I never heard if they accomplised their goal, but I do know that they ate well.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 3 1/4 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt *
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 5 ounces Ground Veal
- 2 ounces Ham, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 Egg yolk, beaten
- 1/4 cup Grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Thyme *
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground nutmeg *
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt *
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper *
- 3 quarts Chicken stock
Basic Egg Pasta:
3 1/4 cups All-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Milk
- Pour flour and salt onto work surface.
- Shape it into a mound and make a "well" in the center.
- Place whole eggs and milk into the center of the well, and beat them lightly with a fork.
- Add flour gradually from the sides of the well, incorporating it into the dough is soft and smooth.
- Set dough aside and completely clean your work surface.
- After washing and drying your hands, knead the dough with the heel of your hand, folding and kneading for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pat it into two round, flat pieces.
- Dust work surface with flour and roll ot the first piece of dough and cover the other.
- Roll away from you, turning it a quarter turn after each roll unil you have a very thin sheet.
- Cut pasta into 2-inch circles, using a cookie cutter or juice glass.
- Repeat with the second piece.
- The circles are then stuffed (see filling below), folded, wrapped, sealed, and cooked.
- Each piece of pasta dough should yield 48 to 54 tortellinis.
2 tablespoons Butter
5 ounces Ground Veal
2 ounces Ham, finely chopped
1/3 cup Ricotta cheese
1 Egg yolk, beaten
1/4 cup Grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Thyme
1/2 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
Also need circles of frest pasta (above)
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat, and gently cook the meat for about 10 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- When the veal is somewhat cooled, combine it with the ham, ricotta, egg, parmesan, thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly using clean hands.
- Put about 1/4 teaspoon of the fillinig in the center of each pasta circle, moisten the edge with water and fold the circle in half.
- The edes should not quite meet.
- Press down firmly with your thumb to seal the edges.
- Bend the now half circle around your index finger and press one corner over the other to for little "cigar bands".
Cooking the Tortellini:
- Bring stock to boil and drop in the tortellini and occasionally gently stir.
- Bring stock back to boil and cook pasta from that point for 12 to 15 minutes.
- The finished tortellini should be cooked but firm.
- Ladle into warmed soup bowls along with some of the stock.
- Serve immediately with more parmesan on the side.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.