Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Brie with Fig Almond Spread Baked in a Pastry Puff
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 853)
Preparation time: 30-40 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 13.2 oz Round of Brie, cold
- About 1/3 of 9 oz Jar of Low Country Fig Preserves* *
- 1 1.1 lb package Frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
- Beaten Egg
- 1/4 cup toasted almond slices
- On a lightly floured surface, lay out one piece (save and refreeze the second sheet) of puff pastry dough and roll it slightly with a rolling pin just to even out the cracks. Be sure there are no folds in the pastry or the cheese will leak out.
- Calculate the approximate size of dough that you will need to wrap the cheese including enough to overlap across the bottom. Cut off the excess dough and save for decoration or another dish.
- In the middle of this piece of dough, spoon on a circle of Fig Preserves the size of the round cheese, sprinkle with toasted almonds. Place the cheese directly on top of the circle of spread and almonds.
- Wrap the pastry dough around the sides and over the bottom of the cheese. Make a neat little package completely encasing the cheese and brush inside the bottom flaps with the beaten egg. Press with your fingers to seal the pastry flaps. Turn over the entire little package and brush the top and sides with more of the beaten egg. If you're feeling artistic, you can even decorate the top with bits of the leftover dough. It will adhere to the wet egg wash. Now place the prepared cheese into the refrigerator until you are ready to bake it. This can be prepared to this point hours or even the day before you intend to cook and serve.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425º and place the wrapped cheese on a parchment paper lined baking tray. Bake about 15 minutes or until the pastry is nice golden color. Serve at once while the pastry is hot and the cheese is runny.
Tip: This can be made ahead of time and frozen. It also works a little better after being frozen.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.