Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 807)
Preparation time: 60 minutes plus cooling; Cook time: 20 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
The dessert Tiramisu "pick me up," has not been around American kitchens very long- maybe 30 years. Keeping that in mind we created our own non-traditional version that looks great, tastes wonderful and is much more economical to make. This recipe can be cut in half, but do make plenty as it tends to be very popular.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 6 Tablespoons Berry, Berry Jam *
- 6 Tablespoons Strawberry Liqueur
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Liqueur
- 2 pounds Ripe Strawberries
- 16 ounce Carton pasteurized Eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup Sweet Marsala wine
- 3/4 cup Strawberry Liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Powder *
- 2 12 ounce Containers of Whipped Cream Cheese
- 5 Lady Fingers
- 1/2 cup Strong Coffee
- 1/2 cup Coffee Liqueur
- 1/2 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- Sliced strawberries for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together jam and liqueurs.
- Wash and clean strawberries. Remove stems and slice berries lengthwise. Toss strawberries with jam mixture and set in refrigerator until needed.
- Combine the pasteurized eggs and sugar in a stainless steel mixing bowl and place the bowl in a pan containing simmering water. Whisk the mixture briskly for a minute or so and then pour in a steady stream the 3/4 cup Marsala and 3/4 cup Strawberry Liqueur. Add vanilla powder and continue whisking untill mixtures thickens to a custard consistancy. DO NOT allow the mixture to scramble!
- Remove the bowl from the hot water and place the bowl into a larger bowl containing some ice to allow it to cool, you will add the whipped cream cheese after the mixture cools.
- While custard is cooling, prepare about 24 of the lady fingers by combining the 1/2 cup strong coffee and 1/2 cup coffee liqueur in a bowl wide enough to be able to dip the ladyfingers lengthways. Dip each Lady Finger sideways into the coffee mixture briefly to soak each half with the coffee mixture. Now, place each Lady Finger standing against the side of the straight sided serving dish. Place a layer of plain undipped Lady fingers across the bottom of the dish. Set this aside for awhile while finishing the custard.
- To finish the custard: When cooled, whip together the custard mixture with the whipped cream cheese a few tablespoons at a time. When all the cream cheese has been incorporated, blend mixture until very smooth. Now you are ready for the final assembly.
- Spread 1/2 half of the prepared strawberries and juice over the first layer of the Lady Fingers in the serving dish. Follow by spreading 1/2 of the custard smoothly over the strawberries. Follow with the second half of the strawberries and that with the rest of the custard. Place in refrigerator while preparing the whipped cream.
- In a chilled mixing bowl, whip the cream until it begins to thicken. Sprinkle over with the sugar and vanilla pudding (acts as a stablilizer) and whip untill very thick, but do not over beat. Remove serving dish from the refrigerator and spread whipped cream over the top of the Tiramisu. Try to make the top very smooth.
- Place the 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder into a fine strainer and shake all over the top of the Tiramisu. Try to make it look evenly covered. Chill Tiramisu for several hours or overnight. Garnish with a few sliced strawberries.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.