- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Wipe mushrooms clean and remove stems. Set caps aside and finely chop stems. Finely chop shallots.
- Heat olive oil over low heat and add shallots. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, and add chopped mushroom stems. Cook 1 more minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Mash and mince garlic cloves and combine with toasted pine nuts, nutmeg, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce and beaten egg.
- Grate Havarti cheese and add to stuffing mixture. Stir in cooled sautéed mushrooms and shallots, and blend well.
- Rub mushroom caps inside and out with softened margarine or butter, and place in shallow baking dish.
- Mound stuffing into each mushroom cap, and pack with fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Bake uncovered in 400º oven 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size of mushroom caps. Serve immediatly as hor d'oeuvres, first course or entrée.
Variation: Three-fourths cup cooked ham, shrimp, crabmeat or lobster may be substituted for grated cheese. A little lemon juice complements a seafood stuffing.