Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Cream of Carrot and Leek Soup
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 99)
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 40 minutes
Source: Merry Thomas M.S. R.D. L.D.
Spicy and smooth, but without cream, butter or flour.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin seeds *
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oill *
- 3 Leeks, white part cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 pounds Large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt *
- Freshly ground white pepper to taste *
- Toast the cumin in a hot, dry skillet, shaking constantly over medium heat for two minutes.
- Grind the seeds into a coarse powder in a spice grinder or crusth with a rolling pin.
- Set aside.
- In a medium stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil.
- Add the leeks, and cook over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and the broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered until the carrots are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the pot, pour in the milk and warm over medium-low heat.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Serve immediately.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.