Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Black Bean Soup
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 141)
Preparation time: 40 minutes; Cook time: 5 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Inspired by the famous soup from Cuba. Do use a very dark rum, it does make a difference in the flavor.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 pound Dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 10 cups Light chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil *
- 2 Medium white onions, finely chopped
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced and mashed
- 1/2 pound Ham, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground cumin *
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground black pepper *
- 1 teaspoon Brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup Dark rum
- Salt to taste
- Additional chopped onion and sour cream for topping
- Drain and rinse the soaked beans.
- Place them in a soup pot with 6 cups of the chicken stock.
- Bring the beans to a high boil, reduce heat; cover and cook until tender, 2-3 hours.
- Remove 3 cups of the beans and liquid.
- Puree it (in batches if necessary) in a food pocessor and return the puree back to the rest of the beans.
- Add remaing 4 cups ot stock and return soup to simmer.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the olive oil and add the chopped onions and cook until brown.
- Add garlic, ham, pepper, and sugar.
- Cook and stir the mixture a couple minutes more.
- Add the lime juice followed by the dark rum to deglaze the skillet.
- Pour the contents of the skillet in with the beans.
- Let soup simmer 1 to 2 hours longer.
- Ladle into bowls with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped onion.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.