Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Deep Fried Sweet Potato Balls
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 206)
Serves 4 to 6
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: 10 to 15 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
These are a perfect match with turkey or pork dishes, but they also make a terrific starter course when paired with a nice chilled Reisling or Gewurtztraminer. The only difficult part is cutting the sweet potatoes, but they can be cut and kept in lemon water for hours before cooking.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 pounds Sweet potatoes, cut into balls
- Lemon and water
- Olive oil for deep frying *
- Paprika *
Whit Truffle Salt
Sprinkle lightly to taste.
- Peel sweet potatoes and place in a bowl with the juice of 1 lemon and enough cool water to cover the potatoes.
- Take a melon baller and place the cutting side against a potato.
- With your thumb, firmly press the cutter into the potato as far as possible.
- Lift the handle and at the same time, twist the cutter around to cut a smooth little ball.
- Return the balls to the lemon water until you are ready to cook them.
- Heat the olive oil to approximately 325 degress and deep fry the potato balls in batches until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels while frying sage leaves.
- Wash and dry as many big fresh sage leaves as you wish to serve (3 or 4 per serving is about right).
- Add sage leaves to hot oil and fry until crisp but not brown, maybe 20 seconds or so.
- Drain quikly on paper towels, place fried sweet poatato balls on serving plater, garnish with fried sage leaves and sprinkle potatoes and sage with White Truffle Salt.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.