Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Chilled Almond Soup (Ajo Blanco)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 551)
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Source: Vito De Carolis
Cool and refreshing- great hot weather soup.
- 7 ounces Unblanched almonds
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 3 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon Sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Fine sea salt, or less to taste *
- 1 1/2 cups Cold water
- 8 Ice cubes
- 1/2 cup Black grapes, deseeded and halved
- 1 Golden delicious apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Place almonds in a heatproof bowl, pour in enough boiling water to cover and leave them aside for 3-4 minutes.
- Then drain them in a colander and simply squeeze the nuts out of their skins into the bowl.
- Put almonds in the blender and pour in the Extra Virgin Olive Oil (the olive oil should just cover the almonds – if it doesn’t, add a little more).
- Then, add garlic, Sherry vinegar, and salt and process until everything is smooth.
- Now, with the motor still running, slowly add cold water.
- Pour the soup into a large bowl and if it seems too thicken add a little more water. \
- Then cover the bowl with cling film and keep it well chilled until you’re ready to serve.
- Just before serving, stir in the ice cubes and ladle the soup into the chilled bowls.
- Garnish with the grapes and apple slices.