Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 790)
Serves 8 ; Yields 24 Croquettes
Source: Chef David Hughes
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 cup Short-Grain Rice, preferably Arborio *
- 3 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, Canned Chicken Broth or Water or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or to taste) *
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Fine Dry Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 pound Mozzarella Cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Peanut Oil, for deep frying
- Several hours or the night before you plan to serve the croquettes, make the risotto
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it has softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then stir in the rice, the stock and the salt (if you are using canned broth, taste it for saltiness and adjust accordingly). Raise the heat and bring to a boil.
- Immediately reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 10 to 20 minutes. Lift the lid and stir the rice occasionally. If the rice is not tender but the liquid has been absorbed, add more liquid and cook, stirring constantly, until it softens.
- Remove from the heat and cool completely
- Beat eggs in a shallow bowl
- Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl
- Take a small amount of risotto in one hand and make an indention in the middle.
- Place a cube of cheese in the indention and cover with a pinch of risotto.
- Press together to form a ball
- Dip into the egg and then into the bread crumbs, and sit on a parchment lined tray. Store in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Heat peanut oil to 350 degrees, fry croquettes for 4 minutes or lightly golden brown.
Serve hot with a warm Marinara.
NOTE: If you make the risotto the night before, you can chill it in the refrigerator and it will be much easier to form into balls.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.