Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Stewed Pork with Potatoes
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 717)
Preparation time: 11 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
Long, slow even cooking is the key.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
1 1/2 Tablespoon Cooking Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 medium Onions, finely chopped
- 8 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Paprika
- 1 cup Amish Catsup Sauce (see recipe)
- 1/2 cup Homemade Chili Sauce (See Recipe)
6 Tablespoons Honey Vinegar
Ramo d'Oro suggested
- 1/4 cup Packed Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Christmas Berry Honey
Royal Hawaiian Honey suggested
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Peppercorn *
- 2 pound Russets Potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 Pork Shoulder, boneless (about 3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; then add the onions and cook, stirring often, until soft and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and "Picante" paprika powder and cook for 30 seconds; then stir in the Amish catsup, homemade chili sauce, honey vinegar, brown sugar, Christmas Berry Honey, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat, cover and set the sauce aside.
- Peel the potatoes and shred them. Working in small batches, squeeze the potatoes over the sink to get rid of any excess moisture, then place them in a 4 1/2 quart (or larger) heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Pour the prepared sauce over the potatoes and mix well with a wooden spoon. Make a shallow well in the center and place the pork shoulder in it. Cover with a heavy lid and cook on a very low heat for 10 hours, or until the pork is tender.
- Remove the meat from the saucepan and shred it, using a large meat fork. Then return the shredded meat to the sauce. Stir well, then cook on low for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.