Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Tomato and Leek Sauce
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 835)
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 1 1/2 hours
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
- 12 large Ripe Tomatoes (7 cups finely chopped)
- 2 large Stalks Celery (2/3 cup chopped)
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 medium Leeks (2 cups chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 2 Bay Leaves*
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme*
- 1/2 teaspoon Chervil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper*
- 1/4 teaspoon Oregano*
- 1/8 teaspoon Raw Turbinado Sugar
- 1 cup Dry Red Wine
- 1/2 cup Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- Salt *
- Peel, juice and seed tomatoes. Finely chop by hand or puree in food processor. Set aside.
- Remove strings from celery and chop. Mash and mince garlic. Chop leeks and wash (See Leeks).
- Heat olive oil in large skillet and add garlic and leeks. Cook 3 or 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add celery. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, chervil, cayenne pepper, oregano and sugar. Cook about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine and chicken or vegetable stock. Cook 30 minutes and serve with pastas or as a sauce with shrimp, chicken or veal.