Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Drunken Pinto Bean Soup
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 147)
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: 5 hours
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
A south Texas favorite. I can't tell if it is more Tex then Mex, I can tell you it is good.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 4 cups Dried pinto beans, soaked in water for several hours
- 1/4 cup Olive oil *
- 2 Large white onions, chopped
- 1 Green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 Cloves of garlic, minced and mashed
- 5 cups Chicken stock
- 4 Bottles of beer, room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons White wine vinegar *
- 2 Bay leaves *
- 1 tablespoon Thyme *
- 1 tablespoon Cumin *
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Salt *
- 2 cups Milk
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot and saute' onion and green pepper for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add beans, stock, beer and the rest of the ingredients except the milk.
- Cook over a low heat 4 to 5 hours.
- Discard bay leaves and measure out about 3 cups of the cooked beans.
- Place beans and milk into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Stir puree back in with the rest of the soup and rewarm as needed.
- Taste soup and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve in warmed bowls, garnished with a little cilantro and accompanied by saltine crackers and butter.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.