Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 567)
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: 3 hrs. 15 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Hearty Scottish soup; a favorite for Robert Burns' Night Suppers.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 3 Slices of bacon, chopped
8 Leeks, chopped and carefully washed
- 1/4 cup Chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon Thyme *
- 2 tablespoons White vinegar *
- 1 Tblsp. Olive oil
- 1-2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and mashed
- 1 whole chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces, tossed with salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup white wine
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 1 Tablespoon Sage
- In a large soup pot, fry bacon in olive oil until browned, remove from grease and reserve. Combine 4 chopped leeks, stalk of celery and garlic clove in hot grease and cook for a couple of minutes. Add pieces of chicken and cook for a few minutes, stiring often.
- Add wine, beef broth, bay leaf, thyme, sage, parsley to stock pot and simmer covered for 11/2 hours.
- Uncover soup pot and allow to cool a bit. Remove meat from bones and return boneless meat to soup with the barley, remaining 2 chopped leeks and prunes.
- Simmer for 20 more minutes or until barley is tender, taste for seasoning, garnish with reserved bacon pieces and serve in warmed bowls.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.