Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Bearnaise Sauce (made with white wine vinegar)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 738)
Serves 4 to 6
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Cook time: 30 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Variations on this sauce can be prepared with white or red wine vinegars or tarragon vinegar.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Shallots or Green Onions
- 1/2 cup White Wine Vinegar *
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 2 Tablespoons Chervil or Parsley
- 2 Tablespoons Tarragon *
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter
- pinch Nutmeg *
- pinch White Pepper *
- Salt to Taste *
- Chop shallots or green onions, and combine with vinegar, wine, chervil or parsley and tarragon.
- Bring to simmer in a small saucepan and reduce liquid to a little less than 1/3 cup.
- Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool.
- Separate eggs and place yolks in a round stainless steel bowl. Reserve whites for another purpose.
- Strain cooked herbs from saucepan, reserving herbs, and add liquid to egg yolks and whisk well.
- Over low heat, melt butter.
- Select a pan several inches wider in diameter than the bowl with the egg yolks in it so that the bowl can spin freely. Fill pan with an inch or so of water and bring the water to a gentle simmer. Do not boil.
- Place bowl of egg yolks and reduction liquid into pan of simmering water, rotating bowl quickly and whipping yolks briskly with a wire whisk
- Very slowly at first, dribble in a few drops of the hot butter, whipping constantly. As the sauce emulsifies, continue to add the remaining butter, a little at a time, until all of it has been used and the sauce has thickened. The stainless steel bowl may have to be removed and then returned to the heat several times while the butter is being added to maintain the proper consistency.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved cooked herbs and pinches of pepper, nutmeg and salt If necessary, the sauce may be thinned by beating in a little warm water.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.