Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Double Chocolate Baked Alaska
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 1059)
Preparation time: 1 hours
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Baked Alaska is usually a layer of sponge cake, covered with a layer of ice cream and wrapped in uncooked meringue. The dish is then frozen hard and then quickly baked in a hot oven. It is thought that the dish originated at Delmonico's restaurant in the late 1880s, although similar dishes have been around for a very long time.
There are much more complicated versions, but our recipe is a good starting place for anyone and can be made ahead, except for the final baking.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
1 Layer Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake mix baked in a 9 inch heart shape cake pan
The mix will make two layers
- 1 pint Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate or other rich, dark chocolate ice cream, slightly softened
- 6 Egg Whites
- Pinch Cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup Powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Silver Cloud Estates Vanilla Bean Paste *
- Cover a piece of heavy cardboard (a couple of inches wider than the cake) with aluminum foil to use as a base.
- Put cake layer on base and cover the top of the cake with a thick layer of softened ice cream. Place in freezer immediately and allow it to freeze solid.
- Beat egg whites with the pinch of Cream of Tartar until they begin to stiffen; add sugar gradually while still beating. Add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Remove cake/ice cream from freezer and cover with ¾ of the meringue. (Optional) Place the remaining meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip and decorate top surface and sides of cake. Work quickly so that ice cream doesn't melt.
- Place un-baked Alaska back in freezer uncovered until ready to bake. Leave in freezer at least 2 or 3 hours although it can stay over night if it is more convenient.
- Bake on a baking sheet in a very hot oven (450 degrees) for about 5 minutes or until the meringue starts to brown.
- Remove Baked Alaska on its base from baking sheet and place on a nice serving platter; serve immediately.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.