Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 137)
Serves 4 to 6
Preparation time: 45 minutes; Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Fried Calamari is so delicious when cooked properly and so disapointing when it is not. Here are a few hints to insure success: After cleaning the calamari, throughly dry the pieces before tossing in the seasoned flour and cooking. To properly brown the calamari: heat the oil until it is very hot and cook the calamari in one layer only, repeating the process until it is all cooked. DO NOT OVER COOK!
- 3 pounds Squid
- Olive oil for frying *
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- Salt and white pepper to taste *
- Lemon wedges
- Chopped parsley
- Cut off the tentacles just above the eye.
- Save them.
- Squeeze out the beak, the squids mouth, which looks like a garganzo bean.
- Discard it.
- Holding the blade of a chef's knife almost flat, scrape along the body from the tail to the opening.
- Press down hard to squeeze out the entrails, but be careful not to break the skin.
- Don't worry about removing the skin, which is edible.
- With the point of the knife, stab the transparent quill which portrudes from the body and hold it fast.
- Pull the body away.
- The quill should remain under the knife.
- Discard the quill.
- The squid is now ready for stuffing or If you want to cook smaller pieces, cut rings crosswise 1/3 to 1/2 inch wide.
Clean squid as directed in accompanying directions above.
- Cut the squid into rings into about 1/3" to 1/2" slices, leaving the little cluster of tentacles whole.
- Dry very thoroughly between paper towels.
- Season the calamari with the salt and white pepper and set aside.
- Heat the oil (about one half inch in the pan) to very hot.
- While heating the oil, dredge the calamari in the flour, shake off excess and carefully place it into the hot oil.
- Cook only one loose layer at a time or it will not brown properly.
- Fry to a golden brown turning once, remove with a slotted spoon and place the cooked calamari on a warm plate lined with paper towels.
- Then cook another batch and so on.
- Serve sprinkled with the parsley and lemon wedges.