Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
French Onion Soup Gratineed
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 218)
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: 1.5-2 hours
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
A classic. Deep, sweet and rich. Slow, even cooking is the key.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 5 Heaping cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil *
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 10 cups Meat stock
- 2 tablespoons White flour
- 1 cup Dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons Sherry
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste *
- 1 teaspoon Thyme *
- Dash of nutmeg *
- 2 tablespoons Brandy
- 1 1/2 cups Grated Swiss cheese
- French bread, cut into rounds and toasted
- Peel onions and cut in half lengthwise, then slice into thin julienne pieces.
- Melt butter with the olive oil in a large soup pan.
- Add onions and simmer over low heat about 10 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, slightly increase heat and cook another 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Add flour and cook another 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- While onions are simmering, bring stock to boil and stir into onion mixture until smooth.
- Blend in wines, and seasonings.
- Simmer the soup covered, for at least 1 hour.
- Slow, even cooking is the key.
- Place in oven proof bowls topped with a couple rounds of toasted French bread topped with a bit of the grated cheese.
- Bake for a few minutes in a hot oven, then broil the bowls of soup unitl the top is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.