Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Bordelaise Sauce/Brown Sauce Base
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 120)
Serves 4 to 6
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Our update on a classic wine sauce from Bordeaux. Historically garnished with rounds of poached marrow, but that might be a little bit more ambitious than you have in mind.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 tablespoons Shallots or green onions, finely chopped
- 1 Heaping cup dry red wine
- 2 Bay leaves *
- 1 teaspoon Leaf thyme *
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt *
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground white pepper *
- 2 cups Thickened brown sauce (or 1 cup demi-glace)
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons Parsley, finely chopped
- Combine in a saucepan shallots or green onions, wine, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place on moderately high heat and reduce by two thirds.
- Remove from heat and add brown sauce that has been thickened with a little roux.
- Return to simmer and cook 8-10 minutes until it is a nice consistency.
- Remove from heat and strain into another pan, swirl in butter, add parsley and serve with beef and a nice glass of red wine.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.