Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 308)
Preparation time: 2 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
Homemade wontons are the first step in making wonton soup.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 Large egg
- 1 teaspoon Fine sea salt *
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Cold water
- 2 cups Meat (choose between beef, chicken and pork)
- 1 cup Vegetables (choose between celery, chinese lettuce, leek and onion)
- 1 Scallion stalk
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Fine sea salt *
1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
1 Large egg
1 teaspoon Fine sea salt
2 to 3 tablespoons Cold water
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl; make a well in the center.
- Beat egg lightly; then pour into well and blend in.
- Sprinkle with cold water, and wetting the hands once or twice, knead mixture to a smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a bowl, add cover with a damp cloth.
- Store in the fridge for one hour.
- Sprinkle a board with cornstarch.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough in a forward motion, away from you, until it is paper-thin and its edges are even in thickness.
- The wontons should be semi-transparent.
- Cut the dough in 2-inch strips.
- Flour them lightly; then stack one on top of the other.
- Cut crosswise through the stack to make 2-inch square wrappers.
- Place wraps on a tray.
- Cover with a damp cloth until ready to use.
2 cups Meat (choose between beef, chicken and pork)
1 cup Vegetables (choose between celery, chinese lettuce, leek and onion)
1 Scallion stalk
1 tablespoon Soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Fine sea salt
- Mince meat and vegetables.
- Then combine with soy sauce and salt.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Hold the wonton wrap in the palm of your left hand with the lower corner pointing towards you.
- With a knife held in your right hand, scoop up about 1/2 teaspoon of filling and place it slightly below the center of the wonton wrap.
- Fold the lower corner over the knife; then pull the knife out, pressing the wrap against it gently so the knife comes out clean.
- Fold the upper corner of the wrap down over the lower corner.
- Dip the knife in cold water, and moisten the underside of the wrap's left corner and the topside of its right corner.
- Hold the left corner betwen thumb and index finger on the left hand, and the right corner in the same way with the right hand.
- Then, with a twisting motion, bring the two moistened surfaces together and pinch to seal.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.